Eurocities is recruiting a Policy advisor to work in the field of social affairs. The candidate would start July 2022.
As policy advisor, you will be responsible for supporting Eurocities activities related to the social affairs forum, by contributing to the organisation’s networking, advocacy and delivering EU project activities related to different social inclusion topics, such as employment, skills training and education, social economy and innovation.
In this role, you will:
- contribute to the successful delivering of EaSI grant on social inclusion, including providing inputs to the organisation of our social affairs forum, social Innovation lab, cities social summit
- prepare policy-transfer and mutual learning activities on relevant social policies, with a special focus on employment and skills, for Eurocities members, including study visits and peer reviews
- organise dissemination and advocacy activities, including seminars, workshops and preparing policy papers and statements
- provide policy support to Eurocities working group working on policy priorities that are set annually,
- cooperate with colleagues to ensure synergies and cross-cutting work
- maintain an up-to-date overview of policy developments and contribute with expertise and strategic insights to the policy work of Eurocities
- maintain contacts with the EU institutions, with member cities, and with other stakeholders
- coordinate the preparation of relevant policy statements
- ensure that any potential synergies with other policy areas, projects and communications activities of Eurocities are developed through coordination with relevant colleagues
- ensure effective communication to members and more widely through the various channels available
- support Eurocities general policy and project work, as well as other activities in line with the overall objectives
You are an experienced professional who is full of initiative, self-driven, curious, creative, flexible and results-oriented.
The skills and experience to do this job successfully include*:
- a successful track record of at least 5 years of relevant work experience in policy advocacy at EU level and EU project implementation
- a Masters degree or equivalent in social policies, social sciences, urban development, EU studies or related fields
- thorough understanding of the EU institutions, decision-making processes and funding instruments
- excellent knowledge of EU policies and programmes related to social inclusion, employment and skills
- excellent knowledge of urban policies and cities in general, including the role of cities in the EU
- excellent research and analytical skills, including the ability to collect, analyse and present information in a clear and concise way
- experience in mutual learning/policy transfer methodologies
- experience in organising events
- experience in coordinating working groups
- experience in advocacy, lobby and influencing EU institutions and other relevant stakeholders
- strong organisation and coordination skills
- excellent organisational awareness
- excellent oral and written communications skills in English
- good interpersonal skills for an international environment
- a strategic liaison for a specific Eurocities community and key EU representatives
- a dynamic team player who also takes full responsibility for delivering results on own work
- agile in a changing environment with the ability to juggle competing deadlines
- a self-starter, driven by the motivation to deliver outcomes for cities and citizens
- experience of working with cities, either in a city administration or through a network
- knowledge of indicators, notably in the area of social affair
- other languages
*We are looking for candidates who fulfil most of these criteria but do not hesitate to apply if you think that you could be a good fit for the position.
- a full-time position as employee, under Belgian legislation. The selected candidate will need to either live in Belgium or be willing to move to Belgium for the duration of the contract (candidates need to provide a Belgian address)
- an open-ended contract linked to the EaSi grant (31.05.2025)
- 3.200 € – 3.600 € monthly gross salary, according to profile and experience
- flexible working hours
Meal vouchers, pension plan, hospitalisation insurance, public transport costs, 13th month, éco-chèques, training opportunities.
How to apply
Applicants are requested to send a letter of motivation, explicitly describing point by point their relevant experience and linking it to the requirements for the position, in one-page maximum, together with a CV with at least two referees (including your current or last employer) by 12:00 on Sunday 12 June 2022 to: Patricia de Wouters, Head of HR, at email@example.com.
Please send the documents in pdf format and mention ‘SAF policy advisor’ in the subject line.
Interviews will be held in person in Brussels, or online, on 21 and 22 June 2022.