Eurocities, the network of major European cities, is recruiting a Head of Food Policies and Projects.
The candidate would start as soon as possible, ideally start in January 2024.
Eurocities is a dynamic and international team where we trust in people, value constructive exchanges and collaborative work. We help people thrive in a friendly, open and healthy environment while promoting a work/life balance.
As Head of Food, you will lead Eurocities policy, advocacy, project, and knowledge sharing activities in this area of work in line with the network’s objectives. You will work as part of the mid-management team at the Eurocities Brussels office. In this role, you will:
- Ensure the team(s) have an up-to-date overview of the relevant EU policy developments in this area of work and that members are briefed accordingly.
- Oversee sound project implementation, in collaboration with the project director, including providing strategic advice on areas of development.
- Develop and maintain contacts and collaboration with the EU institutions, with member cities active in the policy field specified, and with other stakeholders, ensuring a strong external representation.
- Lead on project development in the area of food.
- Lead Eurocities’ advocacy activities in this policy area, in close collaboration with the communications team.
- Coordinate the preparation of relevant policy statements or similar position products on behalf of Eurocities.
- Provide direction to the work of the Food working group, supervising the preparation of meetings and other activities, administering any associated budgets.
- Ensure that any potential synergies between the specified field of policy and other policy, project, and communications activities in the framework of the organisation are developed and benefited from through coordination with relevant colleagues.
- Contribute to Eurocities activities beyond the immediate area of work in line with the organisation’s goals and strategic objectives.
- Manage a team of 2 people, establish team objectives and manage progresses.
You are an experienced professional who is full of initiative, self-driven, curious, creative, flexible and results-oriented.
- at least 7 years of relevant professional experience
- a Master’s degree or equivalent in political science, public administration, EU politics or international relations, economics or similar (environment, health, etc)
- strong insights and experience in at least two of the policy areas of food (i.e. health, health diets, public procurement, education, climate, food waste, etc)
- excellent understanding of the EU institutions, decision-making processes and funding instruments and experience in EU advocacy and influencing EU institutions, and other relevant stakeholders
- experience in EU project management
- experience in EU project development/writing
- excellent knowledge of urban policies and cities in general, including the role of cities in the EU
- excellent analytical skills, including the ability to collect, analyse and present information in a clear and concise way
- experience in organising events and capacity building initiatives, including workshop design and facilitation
- experience in working with multiple stakeholders/partners at transnational level
- good networking abilities and interpersonal skills for an international environment
- excellent relationship management, coordination and organisation skills
- flexibility to deal with multiple and changing priorities and a problem-solving approach
- experience in managing a small team of people
- good negotiating and influencing skills
- excellent political judgement for advocacy purposes
- excellent oral and written communications skills in English.
- other language skills
- experience of working directly with or in city/local governments and good knowledge of local government in general
- experience of working in membership associations
We are looking for candidates who fulfil most of these criteria, but do not hesitate to apply if you think that you could be a good fit for the position.
- a full-time position as employee, under Belgian legislation. The selected candidate will need to either live in Belgium or be willing to move to Belgium for the duration of the contract (candidates need to provide a Belgian address)
- an open-ended contract, starting in January 2024
- starting monthly gross salary of 4.000€, according to profile and experience
- flexible working hours
- part-time teleworking
- training opportunities
- a dynamic work environment with responsibility and possibilities to grow.
More information can be found on our job page: https://eurocities.eu/jobs/
Meal vouchers, pension plan, hospitalisation insurance, public transport costs, 13th month, éco-chèques, 90€ net per month of teleworking allowance, training opportunities.
How to apply
Applicants are requested to send a letter of motivation, explicitly describing point by point their relevant experience and linking it to the requirements for the position, in one page maximum, together with a CV with at least two referees (including your current or last employer) by 12:00 on Friday 24 November 2023 to: Patricia de Wouters, Head of HR, at email@example.com.
Please send the documents in pdf format and mention ‘Head of Food’ in the subject line.
Interviews will be held in person at the Brussels office on 6 & 7 December 2023.