Eurocities, the network of major European cities, is recruiting a project coordinator to work in the field of citizen participation and democracy. The successful candidate would report to Eurocities executive director.
The candidate would start 1st of June 2023.
Eurocities is a dynamic and international team where we trust in people, value constructive exchanges and collaborative work. We help people thrive in a friendly, open and healthy environment while promoting a work/life balance.
As project coordinator, you will be responsible for Eurocities activities for a Horizon Europe project aiming to establish and develop a European network of practitioners and researchers in the field of democracy, civic deliberation, participation and citizenship education. This network will be spread across Europe to foster inclusive democratic innovations. The objectives are to:
- Create, foster and sustain a strong Network of policy makers, practitioners and researchers to benefit from each other’s knowledge, practice and networks, and address some of the key questions in the democracy field in a shared way.
- Systematise and connect the fragmented knowledge on democratic innovation and governance research to better inform democratic processes and the rule of law
- Establish a coordinated European approach and pathways to promote systematic accessibility of democratic research and innovation to EU policy makers and other interested stakeholders
- Raise the ambition of policy making through policy recommendations that seek to strengthen and reimagine democracy via innovation and experimentation at all levels of governance.
In this role, you will:
- Manage Eurocities’ activities and responsibilities in the framework of the project. This includes:
- providing policy recommendations for European policy on strengthening and renewing European democracy across a broad range of areas, including via cultural and creative approaches; developing a Democracy Lab aimed at co-developing inclusive democratic innovations; and organising 4 policy dialogues and 1 high-level political event
- Working in tandem with the policy adviser for urban governance
- Building synergies between the project outcomes and Eurocities activities on urban governance
- Liaising with the lead partner and other partners
- Managing the project budget within Eurocities’ responsibility
- Preparing required deliverables, technical reports, and cost statements
- Ensure strong links with our policy work and relevant EU platforms and initiatives
- Contribute to the Eurocities activities and working groups.
- Disseminate information to members on the project outcomes in cooperation with the communications team.
- Stimulate and support project development in the domain of governance and democracy in cooperation with the project & knowledge-sharing director.
You are an experienced professional who is full of initiative, self-driven, curious, creative, flexible and results-oriented.
- a successful track record of five years’ work experience
- strong experience in EU-funded project management
- a background in citizen participation/democracy
- in-depth and up-to-date knowledge on citizen participation/citizenship education
- experience in event organisation
- experience translating project work into policy recommendations
- full proficiency in English, and are able to write clear and concise reports in English
- good networking abilities and interpersonal skills for an international environment
- excellent relationship management, negotiating, coordination, and communications skills
- experience in working with local and city governments
- experience in coordinating and working with multiple stakeholders at EU or/and local level
- other languages
- experience in policy work
- experience in writing policy recommendations and publications
- an open-ended contract linked to the length of the project (until February 2027), starting in June 2023
- a part-time contract (80%), either as:
- an employee, under Belgian legislation. The selected candidate will need to either live in Belgium or be willing to move to Belgium for the duration of the contract (candidates need to provide a Belgian address). Or
- a freelancer, based in any EU country and able to prove freelancer status as a natural person.
- 2.500 € – 2.950 € monthly gross salary for 80% work regime, according to profile and experience
- flexible working hours
- part-time teleworking
Meal vouchers, pension plan, hospitalisation insurance, public transport costs, 13th month, éco-chèques, 90€ net per month of teleworking allowance, training opportunities.
How to apply
Applicants are requested to send a letter of motivation, explicitly describing point by point their relevant experience and linking it to the requirements for the position, in one page maximum, together with a CV with at least two referees (including your current or last employer) by 12:00 on 19 March 2023. to: Patricia de Wouters, Head of HR, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send the documents in pdf format and mention ‘project coordinator citizen participation’ in the subject line.
Interviews will be held in person in Brussels on 11 and 12 April 2023.