Eurocities is a dynamic and international team where we trust in people, value constructive exchanges and collaborative work. We help people thrive in a friendly, open and healthy environment while promoting a work/life balance.
We are seeking an experienced and dynamic individual to fill the position of Senior Project Coordinator for a European-funded initiative aimed at supporting Ukrainian cities in the development of comprehensive climate action plans as part of their reconstruction efforts. The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in leading and coordinating the implementation of this crucial project, working with a diverse group of partners and managing resources efficiently.
If you are passionate about driving climate action, possess excellent leadership skills, and thrive in a dynamic work environment, we invite you to apply for this exciting opportunity to make a lasting impact on the sustainable re-development of Ukrainian cities.
The candidate would start ideally in April 2024.
As Senior Project Coordinator, you will work as part of the broader Climate and Environment team and lead this project. You will manage a project officer and work closely with Eurocities colleagues and the European Commission. Responsibilities include:
- Lead the overall implementation of the European-funded project, ensuring alignment with project goals and timelines.
- Provide strategic direction and vision to the project team, including project partners, fostering a collaborative and impact-driven work environment.
- Oversee the development and execution of project plans, ensuring adherence to best practices and quality standards.
- Manage the project officer, providing guidance, support, and mentorship.
- Foster a culture of collaboration and innovation within the Eurocities and broader project team, encouraging individual growth and development.
- Conduct regular team meetings, performance evaluations, and address any challenges or conflicts that may arise.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with a diverse group of partners, including research and expert organisations, NGOs, city networks and other relevant stakeholders.
- Coordinate and facilitate effective communication between project partners to ensure seamless collaboration and information flow.
- Represent the project at relevant events, conferences, and meetings, enhancing its visibility and impact.
- Oversee the allocation and utilisation of project resources, including budgetary control and financial reporting.
- Work closely with partners to identify and address resource gaps, ensuring the project operates within budget constraints.
- Implement effective risk management strategies to mitigate potential challenges to project success.
Reporting and Documentation:
- Prepare and submit periodic progress reports to the European Commission, ensuring compliance with reporting requirements and liaising with them when there are implementation issues.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date project documentation, including, project plans, activity reports, risk register and other relevant materials.
- Collaborate with the project team to gather and analyse data for monitoring, evaluation and learning.
You are an experienced professional who is full of initiative, self-driven, curious, creative, flexible and impact-oriented. The skills and experience to do this job successfully include:
- Proven experience of at least 10 years in leading and managing complex projects, preferably in the field of climate action or sustainable development.
- A strong understanding of the situation in Ukraine and challenges associated with delivering a project there.
- Experience in EU – funded project management and familiarity with EU funding mechanisms and reporting requirements.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., Environmental Science, Project Management, International Development).
- Strong organisational and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively in a multicultural and collaborative environment.
- Experience in working with multiple stakeholders/partners at transnational level.
- Good networking abilities and interpersonal skills for an international environment.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, both written and verbal.
- Fluency in English and preferably Ukrainian (spoken and written).
- Experience of working directly with or in city/local governments, preferably in climate neutrality or related area
- Experience in capacity building and workshop design and facilitation
- Experience of process design and improvement
- Knowledge of the functioning of the EU institutions, policy priorities and main policy developments in the area of climate neutrality
- Experience translating project work into policy recommendations
- A full-time position as employee, under Belgian legislation. The selected candidate will need to either live in Belgium or be willing to move to Belgium for the duration of the contract (candidates need to provide a Belgian address). The preference is for the position to be based in our Brussels office, however, consideration will be given to candidates based in another EU Member States who would be offered a freelance contract.
- A contract linked to the length of the project (4 years), starting in April 2024
- €4,000 – € 4,400 monthly gross salary, according to profile and experience
- Flexible working hours
- Part-time teleworking
Meal vouchers, pension plan, hospitalisation insurance, public transport costs, 13th month, éco-chèques, 90€ net per month of teleworking allowance, training opportunities.
How to apply
Applicants are requested to send a letter of motivation, explicitly describing their relevant experience and linking it to the requirements for the position, in one page maximum, together with a CV with at least two referees (including your current or last employer) by 23:59 CET on 18 February 2024 to: Patricia de Wouters, Head of HR, at email@example.com.
Please send the documents in pdf format and mention ‘senior project coordinator’ in the subject line.
Interviews will be held on 28 and 29 February 2024.