A shared moment of solidarity for Ukraine will be held in cities around Europe on Saturday 12 March.
On the initiative of Dario Nardella, President of Eurocities and Mayor of Florence, all mayors and cities are invited to join in this common embrace, and are invited to do so however best suits them, whether through a large or smaller gathering of people.
“I propose that we invite local people to share a moment together,” explains the mayor.
No specific time is set for the action. “We can do this at the time that works best for each of us on Saturday 12 March and I ask you to share your images on social media,” says Nardella.
For social media the preferred usage will be: #CitiesWithUkraine
“Let’s ensure that in our own way we keep borders open, that we champion principles of democracy, and we demonstrate in whatever way we can a commitment to our fellow Europeans,” adds the mayor.
More than 100 cities are planning to engage in the initiative.
Addressing Eurocities members, Nardella said: “I am sure you will join me in condemning the Russian invasion of Ukraine, including the actions of war against our member cities in Kharkiv, Kyiv, Lviv and Odesa. Now more than ever, we hope that diplomatic efforts can put an end to these attacks and ease the already evident suffering of all people in Ukraine
“City diplomacy breaks borders. Through networks like Eurocities, and through our city twinnings, we have built strong relationships. We know and trust each other. We have respect. When we offer solidarity, it is genuine and heartfelt.”
WHAT: A shared moment of solidarity for Ukraine
WHERE: In cities across Europe
WHEN: Saturday 12 March
Notes for editors:
- Eurocities wants to make cities places where everyone can enjoy a good quality of life, is able to move around safely, access quality and inclusive public services and benefit from a healthy environment. We do this by networking over 200 larger European cities, which together represent some 130 million people across 38 countries, and by gathering evidence of how policy making impacts on people to inspire other cities and EU decision makers.
Connect with us at https://eurocities.eu/ or by following our Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn accounts
- The hashtag for this event is #CitiesWithUkraine
- Eurocities has member cities in Ukraine in: Kharkiv, Kyiv, Lviv and Odesa
- All cities are invited to join in this shared moment of solidarity for Ukraine, regardless of whether or not they are a Eurocities member
- Eurocities will put together all city actions from within the Eurocities network in the week of 14 March
- Social media banners can be downloaded here in rectangle (16:9) and square formats
Alex Godson: +32 495 298 594 // email@example.com