We are recruiting two policy advisors in the field of social affairs. They would ideally start as soon as possible.
As policy advisor, you will be responsible for supporting Eurocities activities related to the Social Affairs Forum by contributing to the organisation’s networking, advocacy and project activities related to topics such as inclusive labour market and social innovation. In this role, you will :
- prepare policy-transfer and mutual learning events on social affairs and employment for Eurocities members, including study visits and peer reviews
- organise dissemination and advocacy activities, including seminars, workshops and publications
- carry out lobby and advocacy work on long-term unemployment, youth unemployment, and the implementation of the European Pillar of Social Rights with European Institutions and other relevant stakeholders
- provide support to Eurocities working group on employment, and working group smart social inclusion, preparing policy briefings and drafting policy papers
- cooperate with colleagues to ensure the delivery of the annual work plan and mutual learning programme for social and employment policies
- maintain an up-to-date overview of policy developments and contribute with expertise and strategic insights to the policy work of Eurocities
- maintain contacts with the EU institutions, with member cities, and with other stakeholders
- coordinate the preparation of relevant policy statements
- ensure that any potential synergies with other policy areas, projects and communications activities of Eurocities are developed through coordination with relevant colleagues
- ensure effective communication to members and more widely through the various channels available
- support Eurocities general policy and project work, as well as other activities in line with the overall objectives
- a successful track record of at least five years of work experience in policy advocacy at EU level and EU project implementation
- a Master’s degree or equivalent in social policies, social sciences, urban development, EU studies or related fields
- thorough understanding of the EU institutions, decision making processes and funding instruments
- excellent knowledge of EU policies and programmes related to social inclusion
- excellent knowledge of urban policies and cities in general, including the role of cities in the EU
- excellent research and analytical skills, including the ability to collect, analyse and present information in a clear and concise way
- experience in mutual learning/policy transfer methodologies
- excellent political judgement for advocacy and lobby work
- experience in organising events and mutual learning activities
- experience in coordinating working groups
- experience in advocacy, lobbying and influencing EU institutions and other relevant stakeholders
- strong organisation and coordination skills
- excellent organisational awareness
- excellent oral and written communications skills in English
- good interpersonal skills for an international environment
- a strategic liaison for a specific Eurocities community and key EU representatives
- a dynamic team player who also takes full responsibility for delivering results on own work
- agile in a changing environment with the ability to juggle competing deadlines
- a self-starter, driven by the motivation to deliver outcomes for cities and citizens
- experience of working with cities, either in a city administration or through a network
- knowledge of indicators, notably in the area of social affairs
- other languages
- a full-time position in Brussels under Belgian contract
- an one-year contract, starting as soon as possible
- salary according to profile and experience
- training opportunities
The selected candidate must have the right to live and work in Belgium and be willing to move to Belgium for the duration of the contract.
- meal vouchers, pension plan, hospitalisation insurance, public transport costs, 13th month, éco-chèques
- Eurocities recognises the importance of a work life balance.
Some other benefit examples are :
- training opportunities and access to on-line training
- a dynamic international team
- a pleasant working environment
- flexible working and relaxed dress code
- part time teleworking.
Applicants are requested to send a letter of motivation explaining their suitability for the position, together with a CV by 12:00 on 16 April 2021 to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send the documents in PDF format and mention ‘policy advisor SAF’ in the subject line.
Applications will be assessed weekly and interviews may take place before the application deadline.