The Commission presented its Communication on 'Stronger protection, new opportunities - Commission guidance on the direct application of the General Data Protection Regulation as of 25 May 2018', on 24 January 2018.
- One set of rules across the continent, guaranteeing legal certainty for businesses and the same data protection level across the EU for citizens.
- Same rules apply to all companies offering services in the EU, even if these companies are based outside the EU.
- Stronger and new rights for citizens: the right to information, access and the right to be forgotten are strengthened. A new right to data portability allows citizens to move their data from one company to the other. This will give companies new business opportunities.
- Stronger protection against data breaches: a company experiencing a data breach, which put individuals at risk, has to notify the data protection authority within 72 hours.
- Rules with teeth and deterrent fines: all data protection authorities will have the power to impose fines for up to EUR 20 million or, in the case of a company, 4% of the worldwide annual turnover.