EUROCITIES will launch a new political initiative to show how cities’ concrete contributions to a more cohesive and inclusive Europe starting from local level. EUROCITIES deputy mayors will present their pledges to act on the principles of the EU Pillar for Social Rights through dedicated investments for city measures. This will take place at an event of EUROCITIES at the European Parliament on 21 February 2019 in the presence of Members of European Parliament and high-level Commission representatives.
This high-level political event will consist of two policy debates on how to boost support for the implementation of the European Pillar of Social Rights at local level. It will also feature the launch event of the new EUROCITIES political initiative committing city politicians to pledge to act upon Pillar’s principles. The event will focus on city pledges and will discuss active support to employment and social inclusion through affordable housing.
- launch EUROCITIES political initiative ‘Inclusive Cities for All: Social Rights in My City’
- present the results from EUROCITIES 2018 report on the implementation of the European Pillar of Social Rights at local level (focus on principles 1-4)
- discuss cities’ commitments to transfer the Pillar principles into actions at local level
- showcase innovative measures at city level in line with Pillar’s principles
- discuss ways to boost cities’ cooperation with national & EU institutions and civil society
- formulate policy recommendations for delivering social rights for all at local level
- reflect on the upcoming EP elections and how to ensure a socially sustainable Europe
We invite 120 policy-makers from all government levels active in employment & social policy
- Members of European Parliament
- mayors, deputy mayors and policy-makers from the biggest cities in Europe
- European Commission representatives
- policy-makers from national authorities and Permanent Representations in Brussels
- representatives of EU-level civil society NGOs Draft agenda
- 15 city pledges to transfer principles of the EU Pillar of Social Rights into actions and thus improve the life of thousands of people across the EU
- The outcomes of the discussions will feed into the EUROCITIES recommendations for the future of a social Europe
You are welcome to join this key event. This is a unique momentum ahead of the EP elections to get the MEPs to listen to cities and for cities to influence the discourse on the future of social Europe!
You can register for this event here.