Antwerp, Munich and Zaragoza have scooped the top places in the EUROCITIES Awards 2019. Each demonstrated outstanding commitment to this year’s theme, ‘cities at a crossroads’.
This reflects the new political landscape at EU level, as well as the changing landscapes in our own cities. How can we retain genuine urban life within the historic cores of modern European cities, and how can we bring back city life and find new purpose for old municipal or industrial sites that no longer serve their original purposes?
The awards were selected by a panel of expert judges across three categories:
- Antwerp won for ‘cooperation’ with their project 'The Big Link'
- Munich won for ‘innovation’ with their project 'AKIM'
- Zaragoza won for ‘participation’ with their Harinera zgz cultural centre
Delegates to the conference also took part in elections for EUROCITIES Executive Committee. With four places open this time round, the new mandates go to: Nantes, Stockholm, Vienna and Warsaw.
Mayor of Florence, Dario Nardella was also reelected as EUROCITIES Vice President. Speaking from the conference in Prague, he said:
“I have been honoured to represent EUROCITIES over the past year as its vice president, and am grateful to the members for their trust in voting for me again this year. This is a very important year for the network as we transition to a new way of working. We have already spent a large part of this year collaborating to set a strategic outlook for the coming years, and I really believe that it is only in this spirit – together with a common view – that we can really move forward and achieve great results.”
Notes to Editors
- EUROCITIES is the political platform for major European cities. We network the local governments of over 140 of Europe’s largest cities and more than 40 partner cities that between them govern some 130 million citizens across 39 countries. www.eurocities.eu
- The EUROCITIES conference focuses on a different theme each year. More information on EUROCITIES 2019 is available here: http://eurocities2019.eu/jnp/
- The EUROCITIES Awards showcase outstanding achievements by our member cities in the delivery of local activities or practices which improve the quality of life for citizens. Nine cities were shortlisted for the awards across the three categories: for ‘cooperation’ Antwerp, Dresden and Munich; for ‘innovation’ Bristol, Munich and Strasbourg; and for ‘participation’ Izmir, Rennes and Zaragoza.
- Take a look at the 2019 finalists here: https://bit.ly/356PCfS
- Follow us on Twitter via @EUROCITIEStweet. The hashtag for this event is #EUROCITIES2019
- Photos can be found on Flickr here: https://bit.ly/2KLeKB5
- For all other up-to-date information you can check www.eurocities.eu or http://eurocities2019.eu/jnp/ or contact email@example.com
Alex Godson: +32 495 298 594 // firstname.lastname@example.org